Because six websites just aren’t enough, and because I’m supposed to be reading my Personality Psych textbook right now, I decided to scrawl down a few mind-bending prompts of my own. Take them, try them, and tell me how they went! And if you’re brave enough, send me a snippet. Seriously, I’m not that frightening.
Also, feel free to send me prompts of your own for my next compilation. I’ll be happy to include and credit you!
1. Write a story in which a rubber, water-filled, tomato-shaped ball is a key plot device.
2. Think of your favorite food. It just walked through that door and pulled a gun on you. What do you do?
3. The characters from your favorite novel decide to go on strike. What is their platform? Who is their leader? What are their demands?
4. A man turns into a fluffy pink bunny rabbit every time there’s a thunderstorm.
5. A millionnaire is dying and reveals to his daughter that he had a life long affair with the accountant, who is the daughter’s real mother. Write the death scene. Do not mention the millionnaire, the accountant, or the affair–and no one can speak.
6. End a story with this sentence: Even after everything he had done, she still wished that she could rub his toes just one more time.
7. A man throws himself off of the roof of his house. Write the story from the point of view of his twelve-year-old dachshund.
8. A flight attendant, twenty-five bottle rockets, fifty yards of silver chain, a Barry Manilow discography box set, a bag of superbounce balls, and a disgruntled garbage truck driver named Stacy. What’s going on here?
9. You are a superhero. Your sidekick is a painting of Elvis on black velvet. Your arch enemy just blew up the state building. How do you proceed?
10. Pick one of your favorite novels. Rewrite the plot as a rap song, a country song, a rock song, and a medieval-style ballad.